Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 19 February 2015

Satellite and a new Ichneumon

Three moths in the trap this morning: a Pale Brindled Beauty, a Chestnut and my first Satellite of the year.


Satellite, North Elmham, 18th February


Also an Ichneumon that looked quite distinctively marked so I thought I'd try to identify it... I think it's Ophion obscuratus - one I've never identified before.





Ophion obscuratus, North Elmham, 18th February


Also a Common Flat-body Agonopterix heracliana by the porch.  I've dissected the two from last weekend in the hope of confirming my presumption that they were heracliana not ciliella.  One looked a bit promising for ciliella when I saw its hindwing, but they looked identical internally and, I think, better for heracliana.  They're not easy to do even under the microscope - I shall be more confident when I've seen what a real ciliella looks like for comparison.


Common Flat-body Agonopterix heracliana, North Elmham, 14th February

No comments:

Post a Comment