Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 12 March 2015

A trio of Quakers

Thick cloud for at least the start of the night, milder temperatures and less wind.  It should have been a good night.  I kept looking out during the evening and didn't see a single moth around the trap except for one solitary March Moth.  Disappointing, but maybe some were going in unseen...

Fortunately that proved to be the case and the morning revealed 18 moths of 8 species including the two new for the year (the ones photographed below).

Nearly all were macros: 2 March Moths, Oak Beauty, 2 Dotted Borders, 2 Small Quakers, Common Quaker, Twin-spotted Quaker and 8 Hebrew Characters.  The only micro was a Rusty Oak/Rusty Birch Button Acleris ferrugana/notana - I thought I'd potted it to check which one but when I went to check it the pot was empty!


Twin-spotted Quaker, North Elmham, 11th March


Small Quaker, North Elmham, 11th March

No comments:

Post a Comment