Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 3 April 2015

Leafhoppers

I noticed a few leafhoppers flying around in the garden yesterday evening.  One I caught turned out to be Empoasca vitis, a very common species apparently but the first time I've identified one.  It was evidently on its last legs and as soon as it settled enough for me to photograph it it adopted an odd wings-out posture (they normally keep their wings flat against the body when at rest) and then keeled over.


Empoasca vitis, North Elmham, 2nd April


Last night's moths were nothing to shout about: Small Quaker, Clouded Drab, 4 Hebrew Characters and Early Grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment