Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Eight new for the year

Monday night lived up to expectations producing no less than 7 new moths for the year.  They were Common Cosmet Mompha epilobiella, Flame Carpet, Large Twin-spot Carpet, Red-green Carpet, Foxglove Pug, 2 Waved Umbers and Least Black Arches.  The Foxglove Pug wasn't seen well but here are the others:

(**Edit 2018 - just noticed my photo of a "Large Twin-spot Carpet" (below) is surely a Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet.   Oops!)

Flame Carpet, North Elmham, 4th May


Large Twin-spot Carpet, North Elmham, 4th May



Red-green Carpet, North Elmham, 4th May



Waved Umbers, North Elmham, 4th May


Least Black Arches, North Elmham, 4th May


Common Cosmet Mompha epilobiella, North Elmham, 4th May


It total 16 species of moths, the best in a while and I think the best this year.  Others were Common Flat-body Agonopterix heracliana, Brindled Flat-body Agonopterix arenella, Narrow-winged Grey Eudonia angustea, Brindled Pug, 2 Purple Thorns, Brindled Beauty, 2 Muslin Moths, Hebrew Character and Early Grey.

Last night lived up to expectations too, but given the strength of the wind my expectations were that there wouldn't be a lot in the trap.  In fact there was just a single moth in the trap, but that was one I was hoping for - one that I only used to see occasionally at Bawdeswell but which Dave's been getting quite a few of this year: Frosted Green.


Frosted Green, North Elmham, 5th May


Elshewhere 2 Cinnabars at Burnham Overy on Monday but butterflies were better including my first Wall Brown of the year and 4 Small Coppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment