Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 14 May 2015

Perittia obscurepunctella (nearly as good as Citril Finch)

I had two lifers at Burnham Overy on Sunday.  One was this Citril Finch and the other was rather less of an attraction.

On the way back to the car I noticed a very small moth flying around so quickly netted it.  I couldn't identify it at first but subsequently worked out that it could be Honeysuckle Dwarf Perittia obscurepunctella, a rarely recorded moth in Norfolk.  Not quite as rare as Citril Finch as there are two modern-day records in the county (one leafmine and one adult), but still pretty good.
In view of its scarcity and lack of features I double-checked its naughty bits which for this species are conveniently very distinctive, and it was indeed a male Perittia obsucrepunctella.


 Honeysuckle Dwarf Perittia obscurepunctella (male, gen det), Burnham Overy, 10th May


Earlier in the morning I had been hunting birds and moths on my more local patch and come across 7+ Green Long-horns Adela reaumurella, 4 Grey Gorse Piercers Cydia ulicetana and Cinnabar at Creaking Gate Lake.


 Green Longhorns Adela reaumurella, Creaking Gate Lake, 10th May


A number of butterflies seen on Sunday too including 2 Holly Blues in the garden, Small Copper and my first Painted Lady of the year.  Also my first dragonflies of the year, a Blue-tailed Damselfly and what was probably an Azure Damselfly.  Also this beetle which I can't identify - let me know if you can help.

unidentified beetle, Creaking Gate Lake, 10th May


The previous evening had been relatively poor for moths, though Parsnip Moth Depressaria radiella was new for the year. 

Parsnip Moth Depressaria radiella, North Elmham, 9th May


The rest were Frosted Green, 4 Muslin Moths, Hebrew Character, Early Grey and Nut-tree Tussock.

No comments:

Post a Comment