Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 22 May 2015

PUSS MOTH!

Went out of the back door to check the trap this morning and there on the shed was a thing of beauty.  A massive pale moth clinging to the side of the shed.  Once my bleary eyes had registered that it was too big and too pale for Great Prominent or Lobster Moth I knew what it was, possibly my most sought-after 'common' moth.  One I'd never seen before, always wanted to see, and had been hoping would find its way into my garden soon.  From the other side of the garden I could see it could only be one thing, a Puss Moth!  Absolutely AWESOME!




Puss Moth, North Elmham, 21st May


It didn't matter if there was anything else in the trap at all - my day was already made.  But I checked anyway and two were new for the year: Treble-bar and Angle Shades.  The Treble-bar didn't stick around for photos.

Angle Shades, North Elmham, 21st May


Not much else there: 2 Brimstone Moths, Buff-tip, Pale Tussock, 3 Muslin Moths, Small Square-spot, Treble Lines and Spectacle.

Buff-tip, North Elmham, 21st May


Muslin Morh, North Elmham, 21st May


Spectacle, North Elmham, 21st May

No comments:

Post a Comment