Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Burnham Overy

Wow, I'm now over a month behind!  At least it's cooler now so with fewer moths on the wing I've half a chance of catching up!

Saturday 27th June... I headed up to Burnham Overy in the morning to go birding.  Saw a few moths in the process including Sea-blite Groundling Scrobipalpa suaedella, Pearl Grass-veneer Catoptria pinella and Yellow Shell


Sea-blite Groundling Scrobipalpa suaedella (male, gen det), Burnham Overy, 27th June


Some caterpillars too: 73 Cinnabars and a huge Oak Eggar. 

Oak Eggar caterpillar, Burnham Overy, 27th June


Among the other insect-life were 4 Painted Ladies and these:

Red Admiral, Burnham Overy, 27th June


Blue-tailed Damselfly, Burnham Overy, 27th June


Volucella bombylans, Burnham Overy, 27th June - spent a while trying to figure out if this was a Red-tailed Bumblebee or some other kind of bumblebee before it dawned on me that it was a hoverfly!



Honeysuckle, Burnham Overy, 27th June


In the evening I headed back up to the coast to do some mothing with Dave at Brancaster.  I'll save that for another post, maybe tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment