Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 30 November 2015

Winter (Moth) is upon us: 573 for the year and up to date

17th November saw what will probably prove to be my last new moth for the year, a Winter Moth.  It brings the garden year-list up to 573 species (310 macros, 263 micros) which I reckon isn't too shabby a total.

Winter Moth, North Elmham, 17th November


A Yellow-line Quaker was the only other moth that night and the following three evenings saw just single moths each night: December Moth, Dark Chestnut and another Dark Chestnut.

Dark Chestnut, North Elmham, 19th November


Then the cold northerly gales on 21st November killed the dying season and I got my first nil return of the winter period, followed by more over the next couple of nights.

A Winter Moth on 24th November got things back on track, with Winter Moth and Dark Chestnut on 25th, Feathered Thorn and Dark Chestnut on 26th and December Moth, Winter Moth and Mottled Umber on 27th.

Winter Moth, North Elmham, 24th November


Then back to nil returns until last night, bringing me up to date at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment