Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 16 December 2015

Moths and Mouse

It's all a bit samey but there are a few moths on the wing now it's getting milder.  Mottled Umber on Thursday, another on Saturday night, Winter Moth and Mottled Umber on Sunday night and another Mottled Umber on Monday.  Then last night temperatures soared into double figures and a good total for December: 4 Winter Moths and 3 Mottled Umbers.  Tonight's even milder and without the rain the trap is better positioned... might we hit double figures...?

Here are two of the Mottled Umbers from last night, like nearly all of this month's moths, settled near the trap not inside it.



Mottled Umbers, North Elmham, 15th December



Winter Moth, North Elmham, 15th December


Apologies for cross-posting the rest of this post with my birding diary... I've seen a mouse in my garden on numerous occasions, often going in or out of the shed (where it eats my bird food) but have never managed to have a sufficiently prolonged look at it to be able to identify it.  On Saturday afternoon I kept seeing it dart out of the shed and back in, with perhaps a couple of minutes between each dash.  Far too quick to see anything on it, but perhaps I could catch it on the camera?  Even with the ISO cranked up to the highest possible setting I could barely get enough speed to catch it mid-dash, but eventually it paused for long enough on its way out of the shed for me to get some grainy shots.  Let me know if you think differently, but I reckon it's a Wood Mouse.




Wood Mouse, North Elmham, 12th December

No comments:

Post a Comment