Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 5 February 2016

Acleris hastiana

Moth activity has been increasing over the last week or so.  Early Moth last Thursday followed by Dotted Border and Dark Chestnut on Friday, then 3 Early Moths on Saturday.

On Sunday night the quality level notched up a peg with a fantastic Sallow Button Acleris hastiana (and another Early Moth).  The first hastiana I've seen since 2012 and so new for the house.

Sallow Button Acleris hastiana (female, gen det), North Elmham, 31st January


A 2-spot Ladybird woke up from hibernation in my study:

2-spot Ladybird, North Elmham, 31st January


Monday and Tuesday nights were similar with Pale Brindled Beauty and Early Moth, and Pale Brindled Beauty and 3 Early Moths respectively.

Wednesday was a nil return but last night (Thursday) was the best night of the year so far in terms of variety, I think.  Best was my first Oak Beauty of the year.

Oak Beauty, North Elmham, 4th February


The others were 3 Pale Brindled Beauties, Spring Usher, Dotted Border, Early Moth, Chestnut and Dark Chestnut. Not bad for early February, but others in the county apparently did much better!

My 4th species of Ladybird this year already came in the shape of this Cream-spot Ladybird in the moth-trap.

Cream-spot Ladybird, North Elmham, 4th February

No comments:

Post a Comment