Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 22 April 2016

Streamer

2 Hebrew Characters were the only new moths on Sunday night but Monday was a little better with 3 Common Flat-bodies Agonopterix heracliana, March Moth, Shoulder Stripe, Brindled Pug, Clouded Drab, Hebrew Character and 3 Early Greys. In addition Many-plumed Moth Alucita hexadactyla and  Yellow-barred Brindle were both new for the year.

Many-plumed Moth Alucita hexadactyla, North Elmham, 18th April


Yellow-barred Brindle, North Elmham, 18th April


Next day I photographed this Zebra Spider in my study.  I don't normally like spiders but these dinky little ones are oddly cute.

cute little Zebra Spider, North Elmham, 19th April


Sadly I can't say the same about this horrible thing, which I think may be Tegenaria gigantea, though I'm not clear if there are other similar species that need ruling out.  Proper scared of these!

gross scary Spider (possibly Tegenaria gigantea?), North Elmham, 19th April


Only 2 moths on Tuesday night - Clouded Drab and Early Grey.  On Wednesday I had the day off and headed up to Burnham Overy for some birding.  Little non-avian interest - a Peacock butterfly was the only Lepidoptera (oh, and Brown-tail larvae).  This Stoat disappeared down a rabbit burrow emerging from a different hole.

Stoat, Burnham Overy, 20th April


I've caught what I presumed to be the same Red Chestnut on a number of occasions recently, albeit sometimes with 2-3 nights between trappings.  I've assumed it was the same because it seemed to have the same distinctive pattern of wear - like someone had stuck there thumb across the middled of it and rubbed all its scales off from a big patch in the middle.  Caught it again on Wednesday night, or aother similarly worn individual.  Other than that just 2 Hebrew Characters.

On Thursday I found a Buffish Mining Bee Andrena nigroaenea in the garden - the first time I've positively identified this species, thanks to Richard Lewington's new book.

Thursday night was another poor night for moths but I'm always excited to see a Streamer and this was my first of the year.  Otherwise just 2 Hebrew Characters and an Early Grey.

Streamer, North Elmham, 21st April

No comments:

Post a Comment