Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 17 May 2016

A Tiger with no stripes

Went birding at Minsmere last Saturday.  Didn't see much of non-avian interest - a few common butterflies and 7 Red Deer, plus this caterpillar in the dunes which I think has to be Cream-spot Tiger (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Cream-spot Tiger, Minsmere, 7th May


That night's moth trapping at home produced 3 new for the year: Little Dwarf Elachista canapennella, Bee Moth Aphomia sociella and Coxcomb Prominent.

Bee Moth Aphomia sociella, North Elmham, 7th May


Coxcomb Prominent, North Elmham, 7th May


The other moths were 4 Streamers, Brindled Pug, Brindled Beauty, 2 Waved Umbers, Pebble Prominent, 2 Lesser Swallow Prominents, Swallow Prominent, Chocolate-tip, Pale Tussock, Muslin Moth, 4 Hebrew Characters and Early Grey.

Chocolate-tip, North Elmham, 7th May


Caddisflies included Glyphotaelius pellucidus and 2 Limnephilus auricula.  This wasp was in the trap, seemingly a German Wasp judging from the facial markings and large size.  Apparently German Wasps are native the the UK, despite their name.  Mind you, I doubt if that would stop Boris or Farage using them to support their case for Brexit if they knew about them - facts aren't important if you can play on fears, as any Trump will tell you.

German Wasp, North Elmham, 7th May


I hoped to put a name to this one too, but have failed to do so.  I think it's possibly one of the Brachonid family of parasitic wasps but not sure about that.

unidentified insect, possibly one of the Brachonid wasps, North Elmham, 7th May

No comments:

Post a Comment