Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Sunday 8 May 2016

Chocolate-tip and friends

My first Small Copper of the year at Burnham Overy:

Small Copper, Burnham Overy, 1st May


Only 2 moths on Monday night, my first Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana of the year and a Hebrew Character.

Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana, North Elmham, 2nd May


Tuesday night was similar - my first Lesser Swallow Prominent of the year and a Hebrew Character.

Lesser Swallow Prominent, North Elmham, 3rd May


On Wednesday I had the day off and headed up to Burnham Overy where the only moth I saw was a Cinnabar.  Plenty of other insects though including Orange-tip and a handful of Small Coppers and Peacocks.  Also both Red- and Buff-tailed Bumblebees while other non-avian interest came in the form of Common Lizard and 2 Chinese Water Deers.

That night a couple of new moths for the year were Brindled Flat-body Agonopterix arenella, Brindled Beauty and the always awesome Chocolate-tip.

Brindled Flat-body Agonopterix arenella, North Elmham, 4th May


Brindled Beauty, North Elmham, 4th May



Chocolate-tip, North Elmham, 4th May


Only 3 other species though: Lesser Swallow Prominent, 3 Clouded Drabs and 4 Hebrew Characters. Another Mottled Sedge Glyphotaelius pellucidus was the only caddisfly in the trap.

Mottled Sedge Glyphotaelius pellucidus, North Elmham, 4th May


Next day I saw my first Green-veined White of the year on the patch, along with numerous Orange-tips (the only butterfly species that seems to be having a good year so far) and single Brimstone and Peacock.

I'll cover the moths for that night in my next post - best macro so far this year coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment