Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 24 June 2016

Hedenham Wood

Last year the Norfolk Moth Survey went to Tindall Wood in the Ditchingham Estate.  I can't remember why I couldn't, or didn't go, but recall thinking I would have liked to have been there when I heard what they saw.  This year NMS returned to the estate but targetting a different wood in a different tetrad - Hedenham Wood, and I made sure I was there.  Heavy rain prior to dusk brought the temperatures down which was a shame, but even so I think we were all surprised and a bit disappointed about quite how few moths there were.  Nevertheless there were some interesting moths making the trip worthwhile.

Two macros were my favourites, if not necessarily the best.  One was a Green Arches - not a species that was new to me but I've only seen a couple before and both were worn and almost more grey than green.  Not so with this verdant delight!

Green Arches, Hedenham Wood, 11th June


The second was a lifer for me, though if I counted moths that other people had trapped, potted and brought to me then I would have already counted it.  It was another very smart moth, an Alder Moth.


Alder Moth, Hedenham Wood, 11th June


Rarer than either of those was a micro, at least we think so but it is awaiting gen det to confirm.  It looks like Blotched Piercer Pammene albuginana which would be a new one for me.

apparent (pending confirmation) Blotched Piercer Pammene albuginana, Hedenham Wood, 11th June


Highlights from the rest were Sandy Long-horn Nematopogon schwarziellus, New Oak Slender Caloptilia robustella and 4 Brindled Tortrixes Ptycholoma lecheana.

Sandy Long-horn Nematopogon schwarziellus (gen det Ben Lewis), Hedenham Wood, 11th June


The rest were 20 Diamond-back Moths Plutella xylostella, 3 Yellow-spot Tortrixes Pseudargyrotoza conwagana, Green Oak Tortrix Tortrix viridana, Yellow-faced Bell Notocelia cynosbatella, 2 Meadow Greys Scoparia pyralella, Gold Swift, 2 Common Swifts, Blood-vein, Flame Carpet, Silver-ground Carpet, 2 Common Marbled Carpets, Green Carpet, 2 Mottled Pugs, Common Pug, Brown Silver-line, Scorched Wing, 2 Pale Oak Beauties, Common Wave, Clouded Silver, Light Emerald, Elephant Hawkmoth, Marbled Brown, Lobster Moth, Pale Tussock, Buff Ermine, 2 Flames, 2 Flame Shoulders, Large Yellow Underwing, Ingrailed Clay, 2 Clouded-bordered Brindles, Marbled Minor, 2 Middle-barred Minors, Treble Lines, Beautiful Golden Y, Straw Dot and Snout.  As always at these sorts of events the numbers are just what I could remember for sure - most would have been higher in reality.

Finally on the way home we found a moth in the car which turned out to be Little Grass-veneer Platytes cerussella.  This mainly Breckland species can only have come from the wood where I think it's a new species for the 10k square.

Quite a few Green Lacewings flying around, of which all those identified (mainly by Paul Cobb, this one by me) were Chrysopidia ciliata - a common species but with me being new to Lacewing ID it was new for me.

Chrysopidia ciliata, Hedenham Wood, 11th June


Also the odd Brown Lacewings, of which all those identified were Micromus paganus.

Three caddisflies were retained for ID - Limnephilus auricula is the caddis I've seen most of this year, Limnephilus affinis I've not seen nearly as often and Micropterna lateralis was one I had suspected in previous years but my first confirmed with a key.

Micropterna lateralis, Hedenham Wood, 11th June


At home that night several moths were new for the year, including Hook-marked Straw Moth Agapeta hamana, Crescent Bell Epinotia bilunana, Hoary Bell Eucosma cana, Marsh Grey Eudonia pallida, Figure of Eighty, Willow Beauty, Elephant Hawkmoth, 3 Ingrailed Clays and Dusky Brocade.

Crescent Bell Epinotia bilunana, North Elmham, 11th June


Hook-marked Straw Moth Agapeta hamana, North Elmham, 11th June


Figure of Eighty, North Elmham, 11th June


Ingrailed Clay, North Elmham, 11th June


The rest of the crop were 30 Diamond-back Moths Plutella xylostella, White-shouldered House Moth Endrosis sarcitrella, Barred Marble Celypha striana, 4 Common Marbles Celypha lacunana, Rush Marble Bactra lancealana, 3 Yellow-faced Bells Notocelia cynosbatella, 5 Hook-streaked Grass-Veneers Crambus lathoniellus, 2 Common Greys Scoparia ambigualis, Bee Moth Aphomia sociella, 5 Common Swifts, Silver-ground Carpet, 2 Green Carpets, Sandy Carpet, Mottled Pug, Grey Pug, Brown Silver-line, Brimstone Moth, Peppered Moth, Common White Wave, Clouded Silver, Light Emerald, Poplar Hawkmoth, Swallow Prominent, Common Footman, 3 White Ermines, 2 Buff Ermines, Cinnabar, Flame, Flame Shoulder, Shears, Light Brocade, Common Wainscot, 3 Brown Rustics, Clouded-bordered Brindle, 2 Middle-barred Minors, 5 Treble Lines and Straw Dot.

Until recenlty I've been finding my new venture of caddisfly identification refreshngly straightforward.  That has tended to be the case with the genus Limnephilus, though not always, and today's were 3 auricula, 3 lunatus and my first Limnephilus rhombicus this year. 

Limnephilus rhombicus, North Elmham, 11th June


Limnephilus lunatus, North Elmham, 11th June


Some of the other genera aren't so easy and I find female Hydropsyche a particular challenge.  I'm pretty sure most so far have been pellucidula, though right now I'm not feeling quite confident enough to submit the records.  One of today's four was a bit different, or so it seemed, and I have identified it, if slightly tentatively, as Hydropsyche siltalai

apparent Hydropsyche siltalai, North Elmham, 11th June

No comments:

Post a Comment