Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 7 June 2016

Last Friday

Putting things in the boot of my car as I left work on Friday I flushed 4 Diamond-back Moths Plutella xylostella from the grass behind my car.  It was only a couple of footsteps on a large grassy area, so I suspected a new arrival of these influxing migrants.  I thought I might have more in the trap again and indeed I got the impression that there were more flying around the trap when I went to bed.  So when I checked the trap in the morning I was surprised to find numbers caught had gone down to 58.

There were plenty of other things in the trap including Broken-barred Carpet, both light and dark forms of Clouded-brindled Beauty and 7 new for the year: Skin Moth Monopis laevigella, 2 Clouded Borders, 2 Peppered Moths, Flame, Marbled Minor, Middle-barred Minor and Pale Mottled Willow.

Broken-barred Carpet, North Elmham, 3rd June


Skin moth Monopis laevigella, North Elmham, 3rd June


Peppered Moth, North Elmham, 3rd June


Flame, North Elmham, 3rd June


Clouded Border, North Elmham, 3rd June


Middle-barred Minor, North Elmham, 3rd June


Marbled Minor (male, gen det), North Elmham, 3rd June


Pale Mottled Willow, North Elmham, 3rd June


Other moths that night were Garden Midget Phyllonorycter messaniella, Narrow-winged Grey Eudonia angustea, 2 Common Swifts, Silver-ground Carpet, Garden Carpet, Common Marbled Carpet, Foxglove Pug, Mottled Pug, Common Pug, 2 Brimstone Moths, Poplar Hawkmoth, Pale Tussock, White Ermine, 2 Buff Ermines, Cinnabar, Heart and Dart, Shuttle-shaped Dart, 2 Flame Shoulders, 9 Treble Lines, Silver Y and 2 Spectacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment