Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 18 March 2017

Two Tubics

I found this lovely Sulphur Tubic Esperia sulphurella in my dining room on Wednesday - my first this year.

Sulphur Tubic Esperia sulphurella, North Elmham, 15th March


That night another new 'Tubic' for the year turned up, a March Tubic Diurnea fagella.

March Tubic Diurnea fagella, North Elmham, 15th March


There was also Common Flat-body Agonopterix heracliana, March Moth, 2 Clouded Drabs, 3 Hebrew Characters and Early Grey.

On Thursday night there were 3 Small Quakers, my first here this year. Also March Tubic Diurnea fagella, 2 March Moths, Clouded Drab and 4 Hebrew Characters.

Small Quaker, North Elmham, 16th March


Last night's moths were March Tubic Diurnea fagella, Dotted Border, Small Quaker, 2 Clouded Drabs and 4 Hebrew Characters. There was also the ichneumon Ophion obscuratus.

That flea beetle I mentioned I'd caught in the Brecks last Saturday but hadn't identified it when I posted about that trip... well eventually I did tentatively identify it.  The result was quite interesting though, perhaps a bit too interesting for my first example of this group of beetles, so I got in touch with Martin Collier, county recorder for beetles, for confirmation.  He had doubts about my ID and after getting a second opinion from Steve Lane who is an expert in the genus, confirmed that it was in fact a much more expected species, Longitarsus melanocephalus.  Thanks to both Martin and Steve.  A new one for me, even if not as unusual as what I first keyed it out as.

Longitarsus melanocephalus, Norfolk Brecks, 11th March

No comments:

Post a Comment